In this article:
- Step 1: Message
- Step 2: Pick Users
- Step 3: Controls
- Step 4: Review
- Monitor & View Email Trigger Details
- View Email Details of Individual Accounts
Freshdesk Customer Success email triggers allow you to automate targeted and customized customer communication using saved email templates and pre-defined trigger rules, so you can engage and nurture customers throughout their lifecycle journey at scale.
For example, you can create an email trigger to auto-send a feature guidance email when your customers fail to configure a key feature during onboarding; or an email to invite for a deep-dive session if your customers show signs of struggling using your product. You can even automate the email to congratulate the customers when they reach a certain milestone using your product.
To create an email trigger, go to Email Center > Triggers, and follow the 4 steps indicated on the page. Note that you can save the changes anytime while editing the email trigger details.
Step 1: Message
The first step is to configure basic email settings and then build the email content for this trigger.
- Provide the name of the trigger.
- Provide a description of the trigger.
- Specify the From email, an optional BCC email, Reply-to name & email. You can also check the "no-reply" box to turn off the email reply capability for this trigger.
- Specify the email subject.
- Load a pre-saved email template or build the email message from scratch.
- Select from the available account/user placeholders to personalize your message. You can use any of the email placeholders we support anywhere in the email message and subject, including within the HTML code.
- Click "Next" to move to the next step.
Step 2: Pick Users
The second step is to define the rules based on which the emails will be triggered to the matching users. You can filter users using only user-level metrics and dimensions, or filter users using both user-level and account-level metrics and dimensions.
For example, you can trigger an email based on a specific user role, and that the user didn't log into your product over the last 7 days, and that the account ARR is above a certain threshold.
- Specify if one or multiple types of users should be included in the list, note that if none is checked, no users will be included in the recipient list.
- Users of churned accounts
- Inactive/deactivated users
- Users that are CRM contacts
- Users that are product users
- Define the rules and click "Preview Recipients" to preview a list of recipients that match the conditions at the time of button click.
Step 3: Controls
The third step is to set up controls over how frequent emails should be sent from those triggers.
- Global trigger delay (days): The minimum days between sending any triggered emails and sending this email to the same user.
- Global trigger priority: Determines the order in which triggers are evaluated. Important when considering global trigger delays. Higher values are evaluated first. e.g. an email trigger with a priority of "3" will take precedence over another email trigger with a priority of "1" and "2" when they are scheduled to run at the same time.
- Re-trigger delay (days): The minimum days of subsequent resending of this email to the same user (if the user still meets the trigger conditions).
- Never re-trigger: If checked, this trigger will send emails to the same user only once.
- Generate recipients list daily at *local time: When a list of recipients should be generated for review based on the defined trigger rule. (You'd set the "generate time" to be different from the "send time" if you'd like to preview the list prior to sending it out.)
- Send emails daily at *local time: When this email will be sent to the recipients.
*Note that "Local Time" is the time displayed on your computer browser.
Step 4: Review
The final step is to preview the email and activate the email trigger. You can select any user from the "Select user to preview" dropdown to preview the email message that's specific to that user and send a preview email to yourself before activating the email trigger.
Monitor & View Email Trigger Details
You can manage, monitor, and view the email trigger status on the "Triggers" page in the "Email Center".
- Priority: The priority of the trigger.
- Start Date: The date when the trigger first started.
- Last send: The time when the trigger was last scheduled to send out.
- Next send: The time when the trigger is next scheduled to send out.
- 30-Day Recipients: Number of recipients that received the email from this trigger over the last 30 days.
- Status: Whether this trigger is activated or inactive.
- Actions: You can view the trigger details, edit, copy, deactivate or delete this email trigger.
Click "Details" from the "Actions" dropdown to access the Email Trigger Details page, where you can view the daily trends, daily trigger status as well as next trigger details.
- Recipients: Number of users the trigger has attempted to send an email to on that day.
- Delivered: Number of users the email was successfully delivered to on that day.
- Open: Number of users that opened the email on that day.
- Click: Number of users that clicked on a link in the email.
- Fail: Number of users that failed to receive the email.
- Unsubscribed: Number of users that unsubscribed from email on that day.
*You can click on the number to view a list of recipients for each status and export that list into a CSV.
View Email Details of Individual Accounts
We automatically log triggered emails sent from Freshdesk Customer Success to your accounts as account communications. You can view triggered email details for each individual account in the Account Details - Communications page filtered by the "Emails" category. The communication type will show "Trigger" and the subject will be the same as the triggered email subject.
Note that triggered email sent to multiple users under the same account in a given day will be recorded only once for that account in that day without specifying the user details and displaying any actual placeholder values.
An account's email reply is sent via the mail service Freshdesk Customer Success uses back to your email server and we do not automatically track customer replies within Freshdesk Customer Success at this moment.