In this article:
- Create Customer List
- Create Email Template
- Create Email Campaign
- Monitor Email Campaigns
- View Email Details for Individual Accounts
The Freshdesk Customer Success email campaigns allow you to nurture and engage any customer segments you define based on fine-grained usage data.
For example, you might want to send a feature testing email to only a group of users who are your power users; or a particular feature enhancement email to only a group of users who have requested it before.
Create Customer List
Before creating an email campaign, you need to first create the customer lists that you'd like to use in your email campaigns.
Create Email Template
Once the lists are defined, you'll then draft the email content for your specific campaign. You can create an email template to be used repeatedly in your direct emailing or future campaign. Optionally, you can draft out your email message directly within the campaign editor using the Basic editor.
To create a new email template, go to Email Center > Templates, click on "New Template".
- Select an editor type.
- Use the "Basic" editor to draft out the message from scratch
- Use the "Advanced" editor with the drag & drop feature
- Use the "Raw HTML" editor to upload your HTML File.
- Specify the template name.
- Provide a description of this template.
- Preview the template as you are editing it.
- Save the template.
***Note that the total message size limit is 128KB. It is best to add links for images and not embed them in the email body.
Freshdesk Customer Success currently does not support direct attachment to an email campaign, email trigger and email template. You can host the attachment in a 3rd party tool (e.g. Google Doc/Hubspot) and hyperlink it back to your email template.
Create an Email Campaign
Once the email templates are saved, you are ready to start an email campaign. To create a new email campaign, go to "Emails" - "Campaigns", click "New Campaign" and follow the 3 steps on the page.
Note that you can save the changes anytime while you are editing the campaign details.
Step 1: Message
The first step is to configure basic email settings and build the email message for this campaign:
- Specify the campaign name.
- Provide a description of this campaign.
- Specify From email, an optional BCC email, Reply-to name, and email. Check the "no-reply" box if you wish to turn off the email reply capability for this campaign. Note that you can choose to show the Sender Name by adding "Sender Name " to the From address field.
- Specify the email subject.
- Load a pre-saved email template or build the email body from scratch.
- Select from the available account/user placeholders to personalize your message. You can use any of the email placeholders we support anywhere in the email message and subject, including within the HTML code.
- Click "Next" to move to the next step.
Step 2: Recipients
The second step is to select the list of recipients that will receive emails from this campaign.
- Select campaign recipients from pre-saved customer lists.
- Specify if one or multiple types of users should be included in the selected list, note that if none is checked, no users will be included in the defined list.
- Users of actives accounts
- Users that are CRM contacts
- Users that are product users
- A list of matching users will be shown below which you can select individually to exclude from this campaign.
- You can search for specific users by typing a keyword in the search box.
- Click "Next" to move to the next step.
Step 3: Review
The final step is to preview the email and start the campaign.
- Select the desired campaign start time. You can start the campaign "now" or schedule it to start at a future date & time. Your local time is the time displayed on your computer browser.
- Select a recipient from the "Select user to preview" dropdown to preview the email message specific to that user.
- Send the preview email to yourself before starting the campaign.
- Click "Start" to start the campaign.
Monitor Email Campaigns
Once the email campaign has started, you can click on the campaign name to review the details of campaign status as well as recipient status.
You can filter the recipients by a specific status and export that list into a CSV.
- Delivered: Number of users the message was successfully delivered to.
- Opened: Number of users that opened the message.
- Open Rate: Number of opened users divided by number of delivered users.
- Clicked: Number of users that clicked on a link in the message.
- Click Rate: Number of clicked users divided by number of delivered users.
- Failed: Number of users that failed to receive the message.
- Unsubscribed: Number of users that unsubscribed from this campaign.
- Unsubscribe Rate: Number of unsubscribed users divided by number of delivered users.
- Recipients: Number of recipients this campaign has been sent to.
- Send Date: The date when the campaign started.
- Status: The status of the campaign.
- Actions: Copy, delete or view the status details of the campaign.
- If you do not provide the CNAME records, there will be no tracking for "Clicks" and "Opens".
- "Opens" tracking will not work if the recipient does not "allow images" from the sender.
- Freshdesk Customer Success collects statistics on the campaign for 30 days. After 30 days, the campaign results won't be updated.
- Responses from the campaign recipients won't be received after 30 days since the campaign was run.
- The campaign statistics are not "live", they will be updated on an hourly basis.
View Email Details for Individual Accounts
We automatically record outbound emails sent from Freshdesk Customer Success to the associated accounts as email communications. You can view campaign email details for each individual account in the Account Details - Communications page filtered by the "Emails" category. The communication type will show "Campaign" and the subject will be the same as the triggered email subject.
Note that campaign email sent to multiple users under the same account will be recorded only once for that account without specifying the user details and displaying any actual placeholder values.
An account's email reply is sent via the mail service Freshdesk Customer Success uses back to your email server and we do not automatically track customer replies within Freshsuccess at this moment.